Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: vaniqa and breastfeding

elisa - Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:53 pm

I am 34 yrs old and have had a problem with unwanted facial hair for years and have tried numerous traetments. I have not been diagnosed with PCOS.

I would like to try vaniqa but am not sure if this is safe to use while breastfeeding. My son does not breastfeed often and is 3.5 years old. He nurses once in the am and once before bed.

Is vaniqa safe to use and are there any side effects I should be looking for?

Thanks so much for your help, I just want to get rid of this hair so I can lead a "normal" life.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:30 am

User avatar Hi Elisa,

Vaniqa (generic name topical eflornithine) is a cream that is applied to the face twice a day.

There are a few things to know about it. One is that it works while you use it but upon stopping the medicine, the hair will grow back. It can cause acne, dry skin, headaches, redness or irritation of the skin.

Unfortunately, there really is no safety data available about this drug during breast feeding. Caution must be recommended.