Question: implants or supplements

implants or supplements - Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:59 pm

My wife is 31 years old and has breast fed two children, now ages 3 and 1. She originally had a breast size of 36C, but as a result of pregnancy and breast feeding her breasts have become smaller and less firm. I understand this is perfectly normal. She has become quite self conscious and has considered getting breast implants. We are not certain however that this is an expense we want to take on, nor the right message we want to convey to our young daughters. I have been doing some research into breast enhancement herbal supplements. Do they really work? My gut instinct is that they do not...if they did every women would be taking them. I don't trust user reviews or testimonials in that I feel that they are just part of the marketing of the product and not from real people with real results. Please let me know what the medical field knows about the effectiveness of these products.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:37 pm

User avatar I would not trust any supplement to be effective for this particular application, unless they have actual hard data that has been published in a peer-reviewed medical journal.

I read most of these journals and have not seen any articles on this topic. I could have missed something, though. If the supplement had actual hard data published in such a journal I'm sure they would call the target audience's attention to it.

Hope that answers your question about the effectiveness of such products.

About the message you may convey to your two daughters, if you and your wife choose implants, I doubt that would ever be an issue. Your daughters are at this time too young to understand such a thing, and parents don't have to reveal everything of this nature to their children.

Now, in the case that you did decide to tell them, I still think it would not be an issue, if she is simply restoring her figure to pre-breastfeeding size.
 implants or supplements - Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:20 pm

what do you know about phytoestrogens? according to some health websites these "plant" estrogens can cause the formation of breast tissue. Many of the herbal supplements claim this a main by product of flax seed and other soy products that are in their pills. Could this actually work?
 sara01 - Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:56 am

Yes i was wondering the same, do these herbal breast enchancement pills work? or have any side effects? Im 28 and i work out alot, which has decreased the size, and i do not want to have implants. thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:51 pm

I know of no supplements that truly work for breast enhancement. I would hope you could become comfortable with your natural body, which is in healthy with you working out. Most men are happy with their partners as they are and I don't blame you for not wanting implants. It has become almost epidemic to get this procedure because we have a false idea of what women should look like.

I would look to more natural women as models and symbols of beauty and I wish this would become more accepted by all, but particularly the women themselves. It is definitely healthy and sends a positive message to our children.