Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/5/2017.

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: is any pain medication safe

fergie2000 - Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:24 pm

I asked this question before but I think it was the wrong forum and I want to word it differently. I'm in my med twenties and I'm some where between 3- 7 weeks pregnant. I'm in good health. No diabetes, high blood pressure or any thing like that. I do have severe pain in my shoulder and lower back. I was prescribed pain medication that I have been taking for about 7 months. I was taking it before I found out I was pregnant. Is there any risk to me or the baby b/c of this? Is there any pain medication that would besafe? If so what kind and what dosage. Until I can get into see my doctor I have stopped taking the medication for the most part, but sometime the pain is so BAD I can't do normall activites without the medication. Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:22 pm

User avatar The optimal recommended pain reliever in pregnancy at any stage is acetaminophen (Tylenol is one brand). This has years of use and an excellent track record.

Other pain medications such as narcotics can also be safely taken but it is not recommended that you do it to excess and preferably not throughout your entire pregnancy. They have not been associated with any increased risk of birth defects or problems in pregnancy. If the medication contains aspirin it is not recommended due to the effect it can have on clotting factors.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you still have questions.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:43 pm

User avatar Dear Fergie:

I just wanted to add-on to Debbie's reply. Both aspirin-containing products and ibuprofen-containing products must not be used. In addition to the effect they may have on clotting factors, they can also cause some birth defects, particularly when taken late in the pregnancy. The effect on clotting factors is a potential problem throughout the pregnancy.

I would also caution you that many over-the-counter as well as prescription pain meds are combinations containing aspirin or ibuprofen. For example, a popular over the counter pain reliever is a combination of acetaminophen/aspirin/caffeine. This is very effective for some people. It should not be used during pregnancy.

Tylenol is tried and true for use during pregnancy.

Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us