Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Tylenol Dosage

tthoney - Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:14 pm

I was just wondering how many you can safely take? I have terrible headaches almost daily and I have been taking tylenol which seems to work but I have to take as many as 5 @ a time. How many can you safely take? Oh and I am 28 yrs old with no known health problems.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:58 pm

User avatar Hi Tthoney,

Per the manufacturers you should not take more than 1000 mg every 6 hours or 650mg every 4-6 hours.

You should avoid taking more than 4000 mg in 24 hours because the risk of liver toxicity begins to rise.

If you have migraines you may want to talk to your doctor about a medication called Midrin. It can be very effective at stopping bad headaches and doesn't carry the same risk of liver toxicity.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us