Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Is it safe to take Essential Boost EGCG?

nagrom867 - Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:59 pm

I'm a 21 year old female trying to get rid of a little bit of fat, not necessarily loose weight, just loose the fat around my mid-section. I have a history of IBS but no other diagnoses, surgeries, or serious family history. I'm currently taking Ovcon for BC.

I'm wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't take "Essential Boost EGCG Powerful Green Tea Extract Burns Fat Boosts Energy" a dietary supplement. The supplement facts are as follows:
Vitamin A 50%, Vitamin C 50%, Vitamin E 50%, Thiamine 50%, Riboflavin 47%, Niacin 25%, Vitamin B6 125%, Folic acid 50%, Vitamin B12 100%, Pantothenic acid 50%, Calcium 22%, Iron 74%, Magnesium 12%, Zinc 50%, Guarana Extract, Green Tea Extract, and Panax Ginseng Extract.

What side effects could I experience, can it do any harm, will it really help burn the fat with exercise at least 3 days a week, and will it effect my BC?

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:15 pm

User avatar Hi Nagrom867,

I'm not particularly familiar with the herbal supplements so I can't really give you information about that part of the supplement.

The vitamins all are in safe levels. Taking mega dose vitamins (as in some supplements with 300% or more of a recommended daily intake) can be dangerous. This supplement appears to have all the vitamins in very reasonable concentrations.

Some herbal supplements can have significant effects on the body (both good and bad). They can also interact with medicines, such as your birth control.

I would recommend you discuss these supplements with your pharmacist. The pharmacist should have some references that can provide data on these herbs.

Also, keep in mind that herbal supplements like this are NOT regulated by the FDA so there is a possibility that there may or may not be other things in the supplement that they don't mention. It is also possible that the things that are supposed to be in it may not be in it to the degree they claim. Be sure to check out the manufacturer to see if they seem like a legitimate business and if they have standards they follow.