Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/5/2017.

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Is it safe to take Essential Boost EGCG?

nagrom867 - Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:59 pm

I'm a 21 year old female trying to get rid of a little bit of fat, not necessarily loose weight, just loose the fat around my mid-section. I have a history of IBS but no other diagnoses, surgeries, or serious family history. I'm currently taking Ovcon for BC.

I'm wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't take "Essential Boost EGCG Powerful Green Tea Extract Burns Fat Boosts Energy" a dietary supplement. The supplement facts are as follows:
Vitamin A 50%, Vitamin C 50%, Vitamin E 50%, Thiamine 50%, Riboflavin 47%, Niacin 25%, Vitamin B6 125%, Folic acid 50%, Vitamin B12 100%, Pantothenic acid 50%, Calcium 22%, Iron 74%, Magnesium 12%, Zinc 50%, Guarana Extract, Green Tea Extract, and Panax Ginseng Extract.

What side effects could I experience, can it do any harm, will it really help burn the fat with exercise at least 3 days a week, and will it effect my BC?

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:15 pm

User avatar Hi Nagrom867,

I'm not particularly familiar with the herbal supplements so I can't really give you information about that part of the supplement.

The vitamins all are in safe levels. Taking mega dose vitamins (as in some supplements with 300% or more of a recommended daily intake) can be dangerous. This supplement appears to have all the vitamins in very reasonable concentrations.

Some herbal supplements can have significant effects on the body (both good and bad). They can also interact with medicines, such as your birth control.

I would recommend you discuss these supplements with your pharmacist. The pharmacist should have some references that can provide data on these herbs.

Also, keep in mind that herbal supplements like this are NOT regulated by the FDA so there is a possibility that there may or may not be other things in the supplement that they don't mention. It is also possible that the things that are supposed to be in it may not be in it to the degree they claim. Be sure to check out the manufacturer to see if they seem like a legitimate business and if they have standards they follow.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us