Question: olopatadine

lilonething - Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:46 pm

I have developed an allergy to ragweed and dust. I was given eye drops (Olopatadine) to help with the itchy eyes but so far I find that it just stings. I haven't used it very many times yet, but I certainly don't get any immediate relief from it. The stinging irritation added to the itch is pretty intense for the first minute or so. Is this normal for this particular medication, or am I reacting to it?

Also, do you have any idea why I would develop an allergy over the last few years (2-3 max)? Is that normal? I'm 30.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:44 pm

User avatar Hi Lilonething,

Allergies can develop at any time. Typically the eye drops will sting a bit. You may want to try an oral allergy medicine. These are often good at controlling eye symptoms also.

Using non-medicated saline eye drops in conjunction with the oral medicine can be a big help. This helps wash the allergen out of the eyes reducing the irritation. The saline should also not sting like the medicated eye drops do.