Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Recurring boughts of nausea/diarrhea

lilangel4824 - Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:23 am

I am a 23 yr old female. About 4 months ago I started to experience diarrhea with nausea. This would happen for about 10-15 days at a time each month (lasting about 3 months) Doctors kept telling me it was stress as I was far away from home and just broke up with my fiance. I have since moved back home and life has gotten alot easier however my symptoms are still there. They don't last as long (3-4 days) but they are still reoccurring. I have been taking Immodium for the diarrhea and generic promethazine for the nausea. Lately it seems as if my muscles are always sore, I'm constantly tired, and my chest hurts sometimes when I breath. Not enough to hurt but enough to notice it. I am a smoker and have been for a while. I smoke roughly 6-8 cigarettes a day. Any advice as to what it can be? I don't currently have medical insurance so I havn't seeked out the advice of my doctor.

Optional Information:
Female, Age: 23, New York
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:00 am

User avatar Hi Lilangel4824,

There are a few possibilities. I'm sure you can probably guess that I am recommending you see a doctor for this. I would recommend being tested for parasites. Also, I would suggest that you be tested for celiac disease and inflammatory bowel disease (especially Crohn's disease).

There are often clinics that can see patients on a free or reduced fee scale for those without insurance. Your local health department can help you find these clinics if needed.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us