Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Topamax Question

kady1975 - Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:39 am

Is there a birth control, an oral one that is effective with topamax? Is there any birth control that works with topamax? I was just put on this medication from lithium and planned parenthood did not know anything about the interaction even though it was listed on the inside of my pills.

I have been going to P.P since I was a teenager and do not want to change Dr's. But...I have looked on the web for alternate birth control but cannot find anything.

Advice would be helpful! Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:13 am

User avatar Although there is an interaction between these drugs, it is not contraindicated to take both together. Topamax decreases the levels of ethinyl estradiol in blood by speading up the breakdown of the hormone in the body. Thus popular low-dose combined oral contraceptive pill which has a relatively small amount of estrogen (less than 35 micrograms) will not be enough to protect you becoming pregnant. You may need contraceptive pills with higher doses of estrogen, and even then, there is a risk of unexpected pregnancy. It is a good idea to use barrier methods (a diaphragm, spermicidal cream or a condom) in addition to the contraceptive pill.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us