Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Medication interaction and provigil concerns

MD - Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:22 pm

My wife is 27 yrs of age and I forget the name of her condition she was diagnosed with about 4 yrs ago. Sorry. She was not able to get blood through her body from the neck down through her arms. She had corrective surgery (modified upper ribs) and was started on methodone for the pain. She remained on methadone for 3yrs along with multiple other medications for nerve repair.
She has now been to several doctors and has just been diagnosed with Firbro Mialgia. My concern is along with that, she is being told she has chronic fatigue sydrom. Her current medication are: CYMBALTA (Oral 60 MG Capsule)
LORAZEPAM (Oral 1 MG Tablet)
LORTAB (Oral 500 MG-10 MG Tablet)
LYRICA (Oral 300 MG Capsule)
PROVIGIL (Oral 200 MG Tablet)
RESTORIL (Oral 22.5 MG Capsule)
TIZANIDINE HCL (Oral 4 MG Tablet)
TOFRANIL-PM (Oral 75 MG Capsule)
CYMBALTA (Oral60 MGCapsule)
ZOVIA (Oral 1/35 6X28)

With all of these, I feel her doctor is crazy for adding Provigil for Chronic fatigue. Most of these pills are designed to put her to sleep at night or cause drowziness. With a diet consisting of mostly caffeine and nicotine, am I wrong? Wouldn't she always feel a lack of energy and motivation?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:35 pm

User avatar Hello MD,

I'm a little confused about your statement at the end regarding the diet of caffeine and nicotine and her being in a constant lack of energy and motivation. It is true that the medications she is taking can cause her to be drowsy. Often, over time these effects will wear off some. The provigil may be to try to overcome these effects so your wife will have more energy.

I would recommend that she continue to follow up with her doctor. I would also recommend addressing your concerns about her medications at the same time.