Question: Vitmains and the "pill"

blondie83 - Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:59 pm

I recently started on Ortho-cyclen and I was wondering if it would be safe for me to start taking a multi vitamin? I've heard some vitamins and other medications can weaken the effect of the birth conrol pill.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:25 pm

User avatar Hi Blondie83,

It should be fine to take a multivitamin with the oral contraceptives. It is important to be sure that your doctor knows your taking the multivitamin just for completeness.

Be careful, though, that your multivitamin doesn't have any additional herbs or supplements in it. Some of these can interact and weaken the contraceptive. Your local pharmacist should be able to give you specifics on your particular vitamin and its interactions.