Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Vitmains and the "pill"

blondie83 - Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:59 pm

I recently started on Ortho-cyclen and I was wondering if it would be safe for me to start taking a multi vitamin? I've heard some vitamins and other medications can weaken the effect of the birth conrol pill.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:25 pm

User avatar Hi Blondie83,

It should be fine to take a multivitamin with the oral contraceptives. It is important to be sure that your doctor knows your taking the multivitamin just for completeness.

Be careful, though, that your multivitamin doesn't have any additional herbs or supplements in it. Some of these can interact and weaken the contraceptive. Your local pharmacist should be able to give you specifics on your particular vitamin and its interactions.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us