Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Meds and stomach acid

searcher100 - Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:54 pm

What methods are used to protect orally ingested meds against destruction by stomach acid?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:39 pm

User avatar Hi Searcher100,

There are a few different methods used. Commonly the medication is coated in a superficial coating that is dissolved by the stomach acid instead of having the medication affected. Another method is to design the medication to be resistant to the stomach acid. A third method is to design the medication so that the stomach acid actually alters the medicine to break it down into its active form.

I hope this helps answer your question some.

searcher100 - Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:59 pm

Thank you Dr. Chan Lowe, for your most helpful and immediate reply! I will highly recommend this site to my colleagues and use it as a prime resource of information!