Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Pravohol and Gemfibrozil Tabs

Anonymous - Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:45 pm

Can you tell me if there is any type danger in taking the meds Provahol and Gemfibrozil at the same time. I have been taking them for 2-3 and just was told today that it could causer a kidney, Is there any truth to the statement?? Thanks, Frank :D [/b]
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:24 pm

User avatar Dear Frank,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Taking both these medications together increases the risk of developing one of the complication of taking pravachol which is muscle damage. This muscle damage releases a certain muscle protein which can precitpitate in the kidneys and cause kidney failure if not readily identified and properly managed. This is a rare complication though. The safest of all the lipid lowering agents of the statin group is actually the medication that you are taking "pravachol".

There are certain drugs that increase the level of these medications in the blood and thus predisposes to a higher risk of developing this complication including gemfibrozil although this applies to some of the statins only. So, gemfibrozil does not actually increase the level of pravachol in the blood and thus is a much safer drug than the other statins in combination with gemfibrozil and other medications.

The symptoms that should prompt you to go seek medical attention are muscle pains and aches and may be change in the color of the urine towards the darker color.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us