Question: Minocycline/ Gynecomastia...any correlation?

sdazzo213 - Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:51 am

I have been taking 100mg of minocycline twice a day for about 2 and a half months for treatment of acne. It has been working great and my face has never looked better. About a month ago i noticed that glands in my chest were a little swollen. Initially i did not think much of it but as they became bigger and more painful i decided to go to a doctor. She said i had gynecomastia, i found this unusual as i researched it since i am 21 yrs old and in great shape. The only conclusion i can draw is that minocycline is the cause, but i could not find any data online to support this theory. Could minocycline be a cause? and if so will the swelling go away if i stop taking it? Any suggestions on alternative medications to offer my dermatologist? Thanks in advance for any help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:16 pm

User avatar Hi Sdazzo213,

I was unable to find gynecomastia as a listed side effect of minocycline. This certainly doesn't mean that it can't do this just that it hasn't been reported that I found.

There are a few other causes of gynecomastia as well. I would recommend you see your doctor to investigate some of these other issues as well as see about the possibility of needing to stop the minocycline.