Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Joint Stiffness due to Levaquin

fistdog - Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:18 pm

I recently was prescribed a 2 week dose of Levaquin for pneumonia, and about a week or so into it, I developed joint stiffness and pain in my hands and knees. At first I didn't make a connection; being sick and all, but the pain got very severe. So..I called my doctor and the nurses said that was a common side effect and to discontinue the Levaquin. Well that was 3 months ago and I still have the pain, which I NEVER had before.
What is this? Is is arthritis; just a reaction? Will it ever subside?
BTW, I did an Internet search and found pages of people who have gone thru the same thing.
Any info would help.

Thx - Sam
 DeLWolcott - Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:53 am

As you were informed, this is a common side effect of Levaquin. Are you on any other medications? If not, consult with your physician about natural and/or proven-safe treatments to acquire less painful joints.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:25 am

User avatar DEAR
this can be a side effect of levaquin, known as tendonitis, inflammation and pain of the joints, please consult your doctor.
and i hope you feel better.
thank you