Question: daily contraceptive pill and morning after pill

goodie1987 - Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:53 am

i am taking the daily morning contraceptive pill. so far i have never missed any pills. after a night with my boyfriend i am a bit paranoid about pregnancy still, being paranoid about pregnancy is a big fear factor which ruins my sex life. i have bought the morning after pill and was planning to take it just to have that extra assurance. can you tell me what this will do to my cycle regards to taking the daily pills as i am 2 weeks away from taking the 7 red tablets in the daily pill packets. is it worth taking the morning pills if i am on the daily pills. what will happen to my period cycle in the next two period cycle i do take morning after pill. i originally took pill because i wanted to control my period which only happened once every 2 - 3 months before taking daily pill. since taking pill i have had period every month on time
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:48 pm

The contraceptive pill is one of the best methods of birth control available and it is not intended to be used with the morning after or plan B pill except in rare circumstances. Your body does not need all that extra hormone and using it each time you have sex can wreak havoc with your hormones. Yes, there is a small chance of pregnancy, reduced if you are 100% in taking the pills, but if you feel a backup method is needed for your peace of mind, find something other than plan B for this. The concept of plan B is for those rare times when a condom breaks, the couple just doesn't use contraception, rape, etc. It is not without side effects and should never be used as birth control, say each time you have sex, as you imply here.

Alternate methods for your security would be a condom or other barrier method, contraceptive foam, etc. You may also consider doubling up on the method during your possible worry days (potentially fertile), though with regular use of the pill you don't actually have these typically. If you were ovulating, this would be day 8 through 19 (approximately) when you start counting on day one of your menstrual period.

Being sexually active as a young woman always carries some risk of pregnancy in the absence of sterilization, hysterectomy, etc. For this reason some women do choose a second method, but again, I recommend something besides plan B.