Question: Crack Cocaine Addiction Treatment

Preocupado - Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:57 am

My family is going through a living hell with a son who has a crack addiction. We have tried EVERYTHING rehab, jail, and our family doctor even prescribed an anti-depressent. Nothing has worked. We recently caught the tail end of a news story about a recently approved medication for Crack Cocaine addiction but missed the name and details. It was supposed to be available very soon. Do you know anything about it?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:55 pm

User avatar Hello Preocupado,

There are a few different medications that may help. The anti-alcohol medicine called antabuse (disulfiram) also help block the cravings of cocaine addiction. Several anti-seizure medicines can help reduce cravings as well, such as gabapentin.

There is a medication called Nocaine that helps block the effects of cocaine and reduce the high that is obtained; however, this medicine is currently only in trials and not available publically. I do not know when this will be available, if it passes the trials.

You may want to seek the advice of a psychiatrist that specializes in drug abuse for some recommendations about some of these medicines.