Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/5/2017.

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Tylenol 2 and 3 dosage and tolerance

clay70 - Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi there,
I suffer from trigger point pain in my hip area. I have tried every therapy to no avail and now am taking tylenol 2s and 3s. I will retire from the post office in 17 yrs. I take one tylenol 2 and one tylenol 3 four days a week, as it is the perfect amount to get me through the day. I would like to know: If i take this dosage for 17 years how will it affect my liver? as well, by taking this dosage, how long before i build up a tolerance to it causing me to have to "up" my dosage? Lastly, r there any alternative pain meds that won't affect my liver over the long run? I have tried anti-inflammatories like torydol and naprisin to no effect. only tylenol seems to help.
thanks
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:33 pm

User avatar Dear clay 70

the fact that you are taking both tablets four times a week and not on a continuous basis should not cause tolerance or liver damage. the maximum recommended daily doses of tylenol is 4 gm/day...which means 12 tablets of the 325 mg acetaminophen containing tablets or 8 tablets of the 500 mg acetaminophen containing tablets...
therefore the fact that you arent exceeding the maximum recommended daily dose of acetaminophen, liver damage should be a problem.

you mentioned that you have used NSAID like naproxen , and other pain meds like toradol. I am not sure if ibuprofen (another NSAID) worked for you. ibuprofen is very safe and effective pain relief medication, and it is a renally eliminated, which means it is handled by the kidney not the liver. IBUPROFEN IS ALSO AVAILABLE IN COMBINATION WITH NARCOTICS : DARVOCET. so this is another alternative for you.

like i said, as long as you are not exceeding 4 grams of acetaminophen/day, and that your pain is under control, there is no need to worry about liver damage

Thank you very much and remain blessed

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us