Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Under what conditions do vitamins 'go bad'?

Curtis24 - Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Under what storing conditions will vitamins go bad and lose their effectiveness? At what point does temperature become too extreme for vitamins?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:07 pm

User avatar Hello Curtis24,

Vitamin supplements are generally stable for a couple years (as per the manufacturers use by date). Things that tend to increase their degradation include high heat and moisture. Typical inside temperatures are most likely fine. Higher temperatures (>100 or so) may begin to accelerate break down. Take my temperature suggestions with a bit of caution since I just picked that number as being a bit hotter than typical.

Best wishes.
 Curtis24 - Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:24 pm

Thanks! ONly problem is that over the summer I might not have an air-conditioner. Would keeping them in a fridge be alright?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us