Question: can vitamins help hair growth?

Curtis24 - Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:15 pm

Can taking certain vitamins help hair growth? I'm a recovering alcoholic, and am told I had a deficiency in folic acid and thiamin. I'm taking supplements for both of those now, as well as a multivitamin that contains both and an additional B-complex.

During my alcoholism, I noticed my hair thinning(I'm still young, and this happened ove rless than 2 years). Can the vitamins help restore my hair? Will taking more than the reconmmended does(as I'm doing) speed the process?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:06 pm

Vitamins can help your hair to be healthy and if you don't get proper nutrients, that can contribute to loss, but if there is genetically based hair loss, they won't likely help you regrow hair. There are some products on the market that may help, but you should rule out any physical problem such as thyroid disorder and some infections first. Stress can also result in hair loss. Women often lose hair with childbirth and stress may be responsible for that. Of course there are also medications and treatments that can cause hair loss. I'm sure if this was your case you would be aware of it.

You could talk to a hair stylist. A trichologist is a hair specialist whose training covers both the cosmetic and the medical aspects of the subject. Some trichologists are also trained hairdressers, but they are not usually medically qualified.

Nioxin, Propecia, Avodart, Nizoral, Rogaine, anti-androgens, nonsurgical hair replacement and hair transplants are all used to help to restore hair loss and their effectiveness varies and some do have side effects.

Ask your relatives about family health history, especially the males on your mother's side, to see if this is a genetic tendency here. Many people do go bald at a young age; it is not something that only happens in old people. Some men these days opt to shave their heads as soon as the hair begins to thin - then it feels intentional and many people are quite happy with it, but for others it is a very traumatic event.

Curtis24 - Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:00 am

Thanks, but my doctor said the thinning is because of folic acid deficiency caused by alcoholism, not male-pattern baldness. You said the vitamins can help hair become healthy. Does this mean that, once the deficiency is corrected, my hair will recover?