Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Mistaken antibiotic dose

deintinis - Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:25 am

I was prescribed cephalexin and the dose was to take two tablets twice daily for five days. I mistakenly only took one tablet twice daily for the first three days until I realized that I should have been taking two tablets. I am on my fourth day and just took two tablets this morning. Should I continue taking the regular dose until it is all finished?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:20 am

User avatar Hello,
Yes, I would suggest continuing at the prescribed dose and finish the prescription completely, even if you feel well.

Best wishes.
 aidan - Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:37 am

Similarly I was prescribed 'Amoxycillin & Potassium Clavulanate Tablets' (Curam 875/125) for a chest infection.

I was supposed to take 1 tablet twice daily, but mistakenly took 1 tablet 3 times daily for the first 2 day until I realized my mistake and began taking the correct daily dose. I completed the course tonight. Should I try to get a doctor's appt tomorrow for a repeat, or will the course still be effective?

I still have occasional greenish phlegm, but have noticed improvement. I am also now taking echinacia and olive leaf extract from the chemist.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us