Question: NSAIDs and Magnesium

Michael Hessen - Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:14 pm

I have recently begun taking Arthrotec 75 2x daily because of Psoriatic Arthritis and want to take a Vitamin D supplement as well because it helps with some finger nail pitting.

The Vitamin D supplement I have mentions "vegetable grade magnesium" as a non-medical ingredient so I'm wondering if this will cause similar problems that antacids with magnesium can cause?

Mike
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:27 pm

User avatar Dear michael

usually in antacids, magnesium is the active ingredient of the medicine, and dose could range any where between 200 to 400 mg of magnesium hydroxide depending on the brand.

therefore, having had that the vitamin D supplement you are taking lists "vegetable grade magnesium" as as a non-medical ingredient, that is non active ingredient of the supplement, it is unlikely that you are going to experience side effects associated with magnesium hydroxide in antacids " most commonly diarrhea"

Thank you very much and remain blessed