Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Medication for children on a restrictive diet.

lrobertson - Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:33 pm

My daughter will be 3 next month. She is currently on the GFCF and SCD dietary plans. This is to help reduce and eliminate some of the severe symptoms of her Autism. She is currently running a fever and I cannot find anything that she can take that does not contain soy, corn, wheat or milk. Please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:49 pm

While I understand your desire to help your child's behavior and autism with dietary changes, during a time of illness, fever, etc. the more important concern is treatment for the illness. The dietary adjustments should be secondary. Once the child's fever is reduced, you can resume the diet as you wish but I would not sacrifice the child's immediate health and comfort for the benefits of the dietary restrictions.

If the diet were for severe allergies, this might be different, because the risk of the additives could be life-threatening. But, I would encourage you to use the medications necessary to make the child well and comfortable, regardless of the additives that might be contraindicated on your autism diet.

While this diet helps some autistic kids who seem to be especially sensitive, it does not cure autism so you are not in danger of interfering with a long term treatment. Your child could be in danger if medicine is withheld, however.

I hope your child is doing better by now. Good luck to you with your challenges.