Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Question about the Mesalamine family

heather25 - Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:24 pm

I am taking 400mg Asacol for Chron's disease. When I was first prescribed it in 2001, I had asked the pharmacy to give me the generic. Well, I wasn't told at the time there wasn't a generic but was given Mesalamine instead of Asacol, which lead me to believe it was the generic. I had insurance at the time under my ex-husband and paid about $20-30 dollars for about 180 pills. Then about a year and a half later, I had my own insurance, a different doctor and received another prescription for Asacol and I actually got Asacol and not Mesalamine. That was when I was told there wasn't a generic for Asacol but doubted the Pharmacist because I still thought Mesalamine was generic. Again it cost me about $30 and since my insurance was new I didn't think it was picking up part of the cost if any on the prescription. Well now I don't have insurance anymore since I moved out of state and have learned that Asacol is extremely high! Considering I'm suppose to take 2 pills 3 times a day. Well after doing some research on the internet tonight, I found out that Asacol, Pentasa, Rowasa and Mesalamine are all basically the same medication. My question is how do they vary in their effectiveness and price? Or is there any difference at all? With no insurance, I can't afford to take Asacol as it's prescribed to me, 6 pills a day, so I usually take 1 a day or sometimes 1 every other day or so; and I can only get the prescription for 10-20 at a time. The only other medication for my Crohn's that I've taken is Sulfasalazine and it doesn't work at all or if it does it isn't very effective. What other options are there for Crohn's other than the Mesalamine family and the Sulfasalazine. I saw a website about Remicaide but figured it would be to costly.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:36 am

User avatar Hi Heather,
The best place to find out the prices for medications is at your pharmacy.
As for which medication is best, it would be difficult to say. Some medications work very well for one person but not for another. There is a site, http://www.needymeds.com that has general information about different medications that may be of assistance to you. Hope this helps.