Question: Pain in the left knee

lala - Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:48 am

Since 3 years I've a problem in my left knee.There's a kind of swelled up nerve , cyst or something, I'm not sure what it is.It gives me pain but not always.If i put a knee band on it, it gets alright.
I'm scared of going to the doctor.Can u please help me and tell me what could it be and how can it be cured.Would i be needing any sort of surgery.
I'm very tensed up.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:02 am

User avatar Dear lala,

Knee swelling may be caused by many things:
Injury
Overuse.
Repeated movement.
Inflammatory conditions, such as arthritis.
Infection.
Fluid buildup (effusion) from blood, infection, or joint fluid (synovial fluid).

It is possible that this is a herniation of the synovium. You need to go to your doctor as diagnosis and treatment are usually very simple. Even in the event that surgery should be required this is usually accomplished quite easily with endoscopy (arthroscopy) using microscopic techniques.