Question: Pill Addiction?

deagle - Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:28 pm

I need to know if my mom is really addicted to her perscription medicine. She claims that she has 7 vertabra difusing, and her nerves are degenerating in her neck. SHe has had a highly addictive personality , and just recently quick drinking. She has just told me that she has to take a lot of pills daily. Her daily intake is 80MG Oxycotin, vicaden, thyroid medicine, and xanax. Somehow, I just can't beleive a doctor would perscripe all that medicine for her to take. Is this possible a doctor could do this? Or maybe should I consider rehab for her?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:04 am

User avatar Hi deagle,
Any type of degenerative disc disease etc. can be quite painful. With the exception of the thyroid medication the rest of those you listed can be addictive. If you are concerned about her addictive personality and the possibility of her actually being addicted to the prescription medications, make a telephone call to her doctor and discuss your concerns with him/her about your mom. You may want to also ask about any sort of physical therapy and pain control clinics. As for the rehab, I'm afraid that this is something that she would have to first admit that she has a problem with and be agreeable to entering , otherwise it probably will not work.