Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Adderall and Marijuana Dangers

memercer - Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:24 pm

What is the danger of mixing Adderall with marijuana use. I am concerned about my 21 year old fiance. He suffers from multiple mental conditions and is prescribed 20 mg of adderall that he takes every day. He also recently has been smoking marijuana once or twice a day now for about a month. I am trying to convince him that it is not a good idea to mix the two, as they are both and upper and downer, but he claims that they cancel each other out. I am aware that they work on both the peripheral nervous system and the central nervous system and that there is not a way to cancel them out because they work on each system. Can you give me some information on the dangers of mixing the two substances? thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:51 pm

Regardless of the Adderall, marijuana poses health dangers. To deny this is being irresponsible with your health. Manipulating your moods with drugs when not prescribed by a doctor is dangerous so combining these without the prescribing doctor knowing about it is not smart. I think your fiance is rationalizing his irresponsible behavior and this would be a red flag for future problems. Self-medication with illegal or addictive substances is asking for trouble.

Good luck to you in your efforts to help him.

nirvana8280 - Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Debbie Miller is completely wrong in her post, mixing these two substances is safe, even if they do cancel each other out. Marijuana is not harmful in itself and therefore can ultimately be combined with any drug without imposing a potential risk. Marijuana doesn't affect the CNS that much, it has a greater effect on your concious mind, in other words your motor skills and functioning skills. It imposes no danger to the body in itself when consumed. The legality of marijuana has nothing to do with whether it is safe or not, proven ignorance in itself. Marjiuana is not dangerous and is kept illegal because the government cannot tax it. In reality, the adderall is more harmful to his body than the marijuana as adderall's main compound being amphetamines, the same stuff found in methAMPHETAMINE and SPEED, its just "legal", so it's deemed "safe". On my last note, marijuana is not proven to be physically addicting in any way shape or form which is why you can obtain a "medical marijuana card" if your state provides one which allows your fiance to go to a distribution center and legally obtain marijuana, with the MMJ card being his script.

Best Wishes
 tucansam10 - Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:10 pm

Okay I can agree marijuana is somewhat "harmful" to the body. But really? How bad can it REALLY be if people are fighting to get it leagalized. You can already get a prescription for it. There's drugs that are legal and they do more harm than marijuana, such as painkillers and k2. Now, Im not saying that having a fiance that smokes everyday is perfectly fine, because I do believe marijuana is a gateway drug and can very easily lead someone to experiment with other drugs. But I know people that have smoked everyday for like a year or two and there's nothing wrong with them? At least that I could see. However, I do not know much about adderall except the active ingredient in it, but I wouldn't think it would do any serious damage. Especially if he's just taking his prescribed amount. I think that doctors just say all this crap cause it's all they know about marijuana. It's all the propaganda about it. But I do agree marijuana is a gateway drug and somewhat mentally addicting. I have know this first hand. I've seen it when I went to rehab. It happens more often than what most people think. When you're used to smoking everyday, and then you're suddenly told to stop, it can be hard because that's what you were used to doing and it was part of your daily routine. Thats what you might need to worry the most about is mental addiction. IN MY OPINION. Im not the doctor so believe whoever you want.Im just saying, she sounds like one of those old people that say bad things about it because she was raised to believe it can kill you. WHICH MARIJUANA CANNOT KILL YOU! Just to throw that out there. Thank you