Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: OD On Cough Syrup

ecam49 - Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:24 am

Hello. I know this might sound weird, but my friends and I often down cough syrup to get high and it didn't really hit me until the other day that this could be more dangerous than I've been guessing it is. I'm sure as with all drugs are there are some risks, but I was looking for a more exact answer. The cough syrup of choice is usually delsum. As far as i know the active drug is DXM; it is not alcohol. It also sometimes causes dirreah or just unpleasant bathroom experiences and the high often lasts for 5+ hours. I was going to do it last night and take some pepto bismol to counter act the nasty bathroom side of things but I thought my body probably needs to get rid of what's in me so stopping that could be dangerous. How dangerous do you think abusing cough syrup is? Thanks for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:40 pm

This practice is extremely dangerous. Abuse of dextromethorphan (main ingredient) can cause irregular heartbeat, seizures, brain damage, and death. Over time it can also lead to potentially permanent mental deterioration and liver failure. There are additional ingredients in this product as well which in the long run can harm you. There is a reason OTC meds are often now stored behind the counter. If it was safe the pharmacy would be more than happy to sell all you want of these cold medications that are often abused.

Please get help from a professional in substance abuse and find a way to get high on life, rather than chemicals.

Good luck!