Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: noresthisterone with morning after pill

mives90 - Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:17 pm

My girlfriend takes noresthisterone tablets daily in order to help control irregular heavy periods, i have heard that it is also used as a contraceptive pill but also that it is not as effective as other pills. Today during sex the condom we were using split without us realising and now she wants to take the morning after pill in order to prevent pregnancy. Is this neccesary and if so, is there a morning after pill which she can use without risk of serious side effects?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:04 pm

My understanding is that this pill is quite reliable as birth control as long as it is taken consistently and at approximately the same time each day. The second form of contraception (condom) is certainly a good idea as a rule but I would probably not feel that the morning after or plan B is necessary if her compliance has been good. That type of hormonal alteration definitely has side effects. You really can't avoid that. They do need to be taken within 120 hours of the sexual activity you are concerned about if you do use emergency contraceptive pills.

Best wishes