Question: Microgestin - Birth Control Basics

surfsup1977 - Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 pm

As of last week, I was on microgestin consistently for 8 years. My husband and I decided to try to have a baby, so I went off my birth control last week. I wanted to wait 3 months before conceiving.

My question is...we had intercourse the morning after the week of "sugar" pills and I haven't taken any more pills after that. Is it possible I may have gotten pregnant? I just wasn't thinking right and really want to do this correctly and the healthiest way possible.

Should I be concerned? Can you explain to me how the body works once you stop taking birth control? I'm 31 years old with treated hypothyroidism (in case this would affect your answer).

Any information would be helpful! Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:50 pm

There is no problem getting pregnant immediately after going off birth control pills so if this has happened you don't need to be concerned. Sometimes it takes a little while for ovulation to return so if it took a little while that would also be normal.

I always recommend a preconception visit with your gynecologist to be sure you are in good health, free of STDs or other infections and so you can get started on vitamins if you don't already take a multivitamin. It is always best to go into pregnancy in good health if possible and this improves your chances for a healthy baby. Your doctor will do a pap smear if you are due for one, a breast exam and test your thyroid. Sometimes adjustments in your thyroid medication are needed in pregnancy so it is good to be in touch with your endocrinologist throughout your pregnancy (if you see one for this condition) as well. If you have weight to lose this would also help. Eating a healthy diet is very important so avoid drugs, alcohol, excess empty calories such as soda, candy, cakes, etc. Early and regular prenatal care is also important once you are pregnant.