Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: How much zinc is too much/how much zinc has adverse effects?

Tess1129 - Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Hello,

I've recently been taking zinc supplements to ward off cold and sore throat symptoms. (Someone told me that it can boost my immune system). I have been taking 100mg of zinc for periods of about 5 days until I feel better, and about 50mg the other days when I'd remember to take vitamins. Lately, though, I've been getting dizzy spells about twice a month for short periods of time. I also feel a general tiredness and malaise. After doing a little research, I've realized that I've probably been taking too much, as most people recommend to take no more than 45mg of zinc a day. I have two questions:

How long will it take for what I think are zinc side effects to go away?
Have I done any longterm damage in taking too much zinc?

Thanks so much.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:59 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would not expect any real problem unless you were exceeding 2 gms per day. So, even though you took more than recommended, it is not likely to have caused your symptoms but each person is different. I would not expect long-term or serious damage from a short term episode such as you describe. Remember that just because something is over-the-counter or "natural" it is not necessarily safe for you and more isn't always better.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us