Question: Clonazepam Side Effects

Brian92287 - Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:11 am

I have a prescription for Clonazepam 2mg (Klonopin) and use them for my restless legs. My girlfriend also suffers from restless legs so i decided to give her one last night. Everything was fine last night but when she woke up this morning she was feeling nauseous, couldn't keep her balance, her eyes were shaking uncontrollably and causing her to be dizzy, her legs and hands were also shaking, she fainted a few times, has a headache, hallucinations, and just recently was itchy. I looked it up and saw that those are all possible side effects of the drug.

My question is how long should these side effects last? I keep insisting on taking her to a doctor, but she has large unpaid hospital bills, no health insurance, and we're tight on money right now. Is there anything i could give her that would make her feel better or help speed up her recovery. I'm very worried.

Thanks for any and all help

-Brian
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:47 pm

I am not a pharmacist but it is my understanding that the effects of this drug could last for a few days, perhaps three or so, but most likely the effects will resolve gradually over that time so it should lessen in intensity.

Drugs are sometimes used to reverse the effects, especially in the case of overdose, but this would need to be evaluated and prescribed by a physician. Flumazenil, a specific benzodiazepine-receptor antagonist, is sometimes indicated for the reversal of the sedative effects of benzodiazepines (the type of drug Klonipin is).