Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Hives

Conthree - Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:27 pm

I've been taking the same medications for years, but have been under a great deal of stress.. I live in florida, so after 4 hurricanes and house damage no wonder right? Lately, I have been breaking out in hives in the morning after getting out of bed. I have to end up taking benedryl but it makes me very sleepy. I went off my 5 mg prozac for 3 days thinking it maybe could be that. I'm still breaking out .. We had a problem with wet/soaked carpet in our bedroom about 3 weeks ago, and the repairmen noted they put some sort of anti bacterial agent on the rug after air drying it for 2 days.. I'm wondering if i should ask them whats in it ? It seems every time I sleep in my bedroom i wake up like this.. If I sleep in another room it doesnt happen. I washed all the blankets, sheets etc but I still broke out.. One morning my lower lip was swollen, so I am concerned. I've never heard of breaking out from meds a person has taken for years, but then it could be stress related too. HELP ! I need some advice ! :)
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:27 am

User avatar Hi Conthree,
It certainly sounds as you have been under a great deal of stress and I'm sorry to hear. Stress can certainly cause hives but if the symptoms are more evident after sleeping in your bedroom you certainly should ask what was in the agents that were used because it sounds from what you have described that this is the contributing factor and not medication related. I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us