Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: lyme and clarithromycin

sandra1234d - Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:12 pm

diagnosed with lyme (lumbar puncture)
g.p. prescribed the following: doxycycline 100mg twice daily for 10 days
flagyl 400 mg twice daily for ten days
instead of amoxicillin she however prescribed clarithromycin 250 mg twice daily for 10 days.
I looked it up on the web and it said i need amoxicillin never is there any mention of clarithromycin with lyme.
I phoned my docter back but she said this clarithromycin works better than amoxicillin. I live in Ireland and here lyme (borrealis burghdorferi) is unknown. I had to go abroad to get tested.
Who is right my docter or the web?
should i take her clarithromycin or shop for amoxicillin on the web? How can i pay if i have no credit card?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:36 pm

User avatar Hello,
My understanding is that these two antibiotics are useful for the same conditions and you should be fine following your doctor's prescription - in fact I would recommend it. There are many different antibiotics that are effective on particular bacteria. This is good since some people can't tolerate one or another due to allergy. If only one would work, a person with sensitivity would be in trouble.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us