Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Abrupt stopping to take CIPRALEX

Vincent - Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:06 am

Hello,

I have been taking Cipralex (which I believe is a newer version of something called Cipralin) for about 2 months.
The medicine doesnt make me feel better at all. It just makes me more nervous and aggitated, so I decided to stop taking it.

I didn't take Cipralex for 3 days now, and I sure feel a bit better. Not that tense anymore.
Although I feel better, my depression is still lurking underneath the surface. Is it "OK" to stop taking this medicine this abrupt ? What are the risks ? Should I ask for another antidepressant ? If so, which one ?

I read that stop taking older depressants like Prozac this abruptly could be dangerous.

Ps. I stopped taking Sobril and Mogadon aswell, my doctor said that this was OK, i sleep fine and after I stopped taking Cipralex 3 days ago, my nervousness went away aswell.

Thanks in advance ! :?:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:21 am

User avatar Hi Vincent,
Everyone's body is different, hence the reason of different side effects to medications in people. Anti-depressants should be tapered off slowly and not stopped "cold turkey".
It would be difficult to say which anti-depreesant would be the best for you since what works well for one person may not be effective for another. It is sort of a trial and error method to find the best one, depending on the symptoms of the person and exactly what is needed for better mental health. I would suggest that you contact your doctor, tell him/her that this particular medication has not been helpful and see what other options are available. I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us