Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Is it safe to mix Dramamine with my prescritions.

sommer - Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:14 am

I am a 42 yr old female with a history of hypertension & a recent diagnosis of lupus. Is it safe to mix dramamine with the following-
Relafen 500mg (twice daily)
Zantac 150mg (twice daily)
Flexeril 10mg (once daily)
Lipitor 20mg (once daily)
Tramadol 100mg (twice daily)
Levothroid 75mcg (once daily)
Norvasc 10mg (once daily)
Wellbutrin 150mg (twice daily)
Macrodantin 50mg (once daily)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:54 pm

User avatar Hello,
There is danger in adding other drugs containing the same active ingredient (Dimenhydrinate) as well as alcohol. This is an antihistamine so check bottles carefully for ingredients before adding to the dramamine - this could be added to cold or cough medications, Benadryl, Zyrtec, Tavist, Dimetapp, etc.

Flexaril or Tramadol may also compound the drowsiness you might get with the dramamine so caution should be used, especially when driving or operating machinery.

Also, Wellbutrin and Tramadol are not recommended to be used together because of potential side effects. Flexeril and Wellbutrin should be combined with caution, so you may want to discuss concerns with your doctor or pharmacist. Sometimes the benefit outweighs the risk but you want to be sure nothing is overlooked and that every caution is taken for your safety.

If it is not absolutely necessary, I would not add Dramamine to the list.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us