Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Alternative to ibuprofen anti-inflamatory drugs

msd760 - Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:24 pm

I am trying to find alternative drugs that are anti-inflamatory drugs and not in the ibuprofen family. I am allergic to ibuprofen and asprin and have tried Naproxen and Daypro, ( prescribed by my doctor), and am getting hives.
I have a bruised or sprained tailbone and the Naproxen helped but gave me hives.
Please Help, truck driver in pain
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:30 pm

Some other NSAIDS include:
ketorolac
etodolac
ketoprofen

However I suspect the allergy is to the entire class of NSAIDS since both ibuprofen and naproxen have caused hives.

May need to treat the inflamation with ice and use acetominophen for pain control.

Your family physician may have some additional suggestions too.

Let us know how it goes.
 msd760 - Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:15 pm

thank you for the advice

my doctor has prescribed Ultram now for the pain, but i am not sure if it has any anti-inflamtory aides in it.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:48 am

Ultram has no anti inflammatory properties. It is a non opioid analgesics - binds to pain receptors in the brain.

Hope this helps. Take care.