Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/5/2017.

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Alternative to ibuprofen anti-inflamatory drugs

msd760 - Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:24 pm

I am trying to find alternative drugs that are anti-inflamatory drugs and not in the ibuprofen family. I am allergic to ibuprofen and asprin and have tried Naproxen and Daypro, ( prescribed by my doctor), and am getting hives.
I have a bruised or sprained tailbone and the Naproxen helped but gave me hives.
Please Help, truck driver in pain
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:30 pm

User avatar Hello,

Some other NSAIDS include:
ketorolac
etodolac
ketoprofen

However I suspect the allergy is to the entire class of NSAIDS since both ibuprofen and naproxen have caused hives.

May need to treat the inflamation with ice and use acetominophen for pain control.

Your family physician may have some additional suggestions too.

Let us know how it goes.
 msd760 - Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:15 pm

thank you for the advice

my doctor has prescribed Ultram now for the pain, but i am not sure if it has any anti-inflamtory aides in it.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:48 am

User avatar Hello,
Ultram has no anti inflammatory properties. It is a non opioid analgesics - binds to pain receptors in the brain.

Hope this helps. Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us