Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Can Ativan be passed through semen?

ipebbles2 - Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:36 pm

I started seeing a man a while back & things are progressing in the natural direction. He has anxiety & is on Ativan. I am allergic to Valium "& all of it's derivitives" (from my Doctor). What I am wondering is, can he pass the ativan to me through his semen or even his spit & if so is there anything I can do to prevent it? I was in a very bad accident & they gave me Valium in the hospital I went into anaphylactic shock so I'm kind of concerned. Thanks for your time & help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:32 pm

I am not aware of such a response as having an allergy to semen of a man using the drug to which you are allergic, aside from semen allergy in general. However, if you have such as severe reaction to this, perhaps your doctor would prescribe an emergency kit for treatment of potential anaphylaxis and you could have this handy just in case. Knowing you were covered this way might make it easier for you to relax in the sexual realm. You could also use condoms at first until you are feeling up to trying it without.

I doubt that there would be enough of the drug excreted in this way to cause a problem or we would be hearing a lot more about such encounters.