Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: codiene phosphate addiction

monalisa - Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:44 pm

I think i have a problem with codiene i was prescribed this medication over 2 year back after a miscarriage, I started to take the med because of the heavy cramping etc but started to notice it also clamed my nerves and mood down.

I can say i was self prescribing, anyway last dec i had fertility treatment and got preganant and lost the baby due to ectopic.
i lost my last remaining tube as it ruptured and again was sent home with codiene, I knew myself i was going to take this med just to self medicate.

I then had surgery for a bad tendon tear in august and was put on a repeat script for the painkiller.
I did visit my GP and told her i thought i had a problem with painkille addiction, she asked how many i take and what mg i told her 30mg codiene and about 2 per day.
I was very supprised when she replied i think your beating yourself up and do you really feel any effects?
I again said yes and told her i was worried about the effect this was having not only on my health liver etc but on me emotionally.
She then asked if I wanted to stop the prescription i of course said yes and need some help.
I am now down to 20 pills left and no repeat with no idea how i am going to come off these pill alone. I feel i did not get any support or advise as to how to help me, any advise would be great thanks

Ps just for reference i have suffered very bad panick attacks in the past and this med does help a great deal with that. I am now scared what is going to happen after my Gp has stopped this med??
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:59 am

Trying to taper off opioids after prolonged use (including abuse) can be difficult.

A few options:

- slow taper over the course of 8-12 weeks. This can be worked out with a family physician: meeting with physician weekly, slow taper, and support like narcotics anonymous or other counseling.
- checking into a treatment center.
- discussing with a physician the use of buprenorphine and naloxone for withdrawal. This med is prescribed by a certified physician and is used for narcotic withdrawal.

Anxiety attacks may worsen with narcotic withdrawal so finding some coping mechanisms is very important. Some physicians recommend short term course of a benzodiazepine however these have potential for dependency so caution must be exercised.

Let us know how it goes.