Question: Why should I destroy oral (liquid) Oxycodone after 90 days?

odetojoy - Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:05 pm

I had been prescribed a liquid form of Oxycodone 3 years ago for pain and have some remaining in my medicine chest. I was wondering why the label (and online sources) states to destroy any remaining liquid after 90 days? Is it because it would hurt me, or is it because it simply becomes less effective over time??
Thank you for your help!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:05 pm

Thanks for writing in.

In general, medicine has an expiration date because beyond that date efficacy can not be guaranteed. It may lose its effect.

For liquid suspensions or medicine that needs to be refrigerated, the contents may actually "go bad" after that date.

Best option is to obtain a new prescription for any expired medication.

All the best to you.