Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/5/2017.

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: antibiotic cause false positive methamphetamineon drug test

swoll - Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:33 pm

hi i was wondering if you have any refs or information that has to do with antibiotics (such as pencillin doxycyline bactrim etc.. was on all + more) causing a false positive amphetamine or methamphetamine urine test?
i have not taken any amphetamine, or similar substances i think, but i was in for surgery for an infection and now i have shown up (the next day after surgery) positive on a urine test at the methadone clinic. i have been there 10 years without failing a drug test and now i have to go in daily instead of bi-weekly! 4+ hr round trip really is hard daily. any help will be greatly appreciated! - jason r.
 Debra Van Ness RN - Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:09 pm

I would want to ask if you have taken any other prescribed medications or over the counter products. Some medications such as those in cold remedies/sinus medications over the counter can cause a false positive amphetamine screen. Pseudoephedrine is a big one. (Sudafed's original formula). Ephedra will also do this. (although I am not sure Ephedra is even accessable now over the counter anywhere). However, I believe that the exact culprit can be identified through specific blood tests. What may show up as a postive amphetamine on a urine screen can be confirmed on a blood test. Blood work will even differentiate between an amphetamine and a methamphetamine.
So, though it may cost money and be more of an effort, you could request a serum drug screen in order to prove yourself.

Please be sure to give a list of everything you take prescribed and non prescribed before your drug screens. Include all herbal substances and over the counter supplements.

Debra Van Ness RN
 ToxPro - Thu May 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Antibiotics are not known to cross-react with modern drugs of abuse screening kits for amphetamines. That said, a urine drugs of abuse screen should always be confirmed, typcially by Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (GCMS). The are too many other-the-counter compounds (decongestants, diet pills) that can cause a false positive for amphetamines. This method of confirmation will also differentiate methamphetamine from amphetamine or phentermine, two commonly prescribed sympathomimetic amines that yield positive screening tests.

While a blood test may be helpful, it is not necessarily needed - the original urine should be confirmed by (at least) GCMS.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us