Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Is Dukoral a Typhoid vaccine?

Kirra21 - Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:21 pm

I went to my doctor to get a typhoid vaccine as I am leaving for Guatemala in a few weeks and he perscribed Dukoral, saying that because I had been vaccinated as a kid, this would be good enough. I'm just wanting a second opinion on that. I am running out of time if I do infact have to see another doctor and get the "real" vaccine. Thank you
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:07 pm

User avatar Hello,
Thanks for writing in.

Dukar is a vaccination against Cholera and Traveler's Diarrhea.

Thyphoid vaccine is different than Dukar.

The CDC reports two types of Typhoid vaccinations - one inactivated and one live. Both vaccines need boosters every two or five years respectively for at risk persons.

For more information, contact the CDC or your local health department...certainly double check with your doctor as there may have been some miscommunication.

Keep us posted.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us