Question: do i need to stop enbrel to get rid of hpv?

musicianj1 - Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:19 am

i contracted low risk HPV (wart type) around 2 years ago. with a doctors help i got rid of the warts & carried on with my life. recently i began taking enbrel for my moderately severe plague psoriasis, i take 50 mg weekly. very recently i have noticed another very small wart developing on my penis, so i decided to research HPV a little more and found that, with a good immune system, the body can rid itself of the virus in a couple years. my question is: will my immune system ever be able to rid my body of HPV while i am taking enbrel? (i know enbrel is an immune system suppresant) what should i do??? my psoriasis makes my life unbearable, i do not want to stop taking my enbrel. (perhaps i should try another of the new psoriasis meds?, one that doesnt work by suppressing my immune system. ) theres gotta be a practical solution to this.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:55 pm

This is a difficult situation because often people who take immunosuppresants for rheumatoid or psoriasis develop secondary viral infections (eg increase cold sore - oral herpes). In your case, HPV.
Yes, the body fights off the HPV with time however on Enbrel, the body has reduced immunological punch.
The options for the HPV are using cryotherapy to treat the warts or discussing with the rhuematologist the option of HPV vaccination...and if a holiday from Enbrel to get the vaccination is a reasonable.
Keep us posted.