Question: Is it safe to take Dramamine daily?

gerilc - Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:13 pm

I was wondering if it's safe to take Dramamine (or other motion sickness medication) daily? I might have to start commuting by train but I have issues w/ motion sickness. When I fly, I take Dramamine and it helps but I'm wondering if taking it daily would be bad.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:37 pm

There are two formulations of Dramamine, "original formula" (Dimenhydrinate), and "Less Drowsy Formula" (meclazine). The former, which is an antihistime with antiemetic properties, is recommended not to be taken for more than eight tablets in 24 hours (or as directed by a doctor). Some people tolerate this fine for extended periods, but the drying effect can cause problems for some people who may have unrecognized bladder neck problems, and it also can cause significant drowsiness. It can be take on an as-needed basis, but is not ususally recommended as a maintainance medication.

The latter (meclizine) has more broad utility, as it also treats vertigo specifically, but is often used as a maintainance medication, with the patient taking one or two tablets every 24 hours. This can be taken indefinitely, especially when prescribed in its generic form (which can also be purchased over the counter in larger amounts), or as Antivert. Meclizine has very little in the way of side-effects and for most people drowsiness is minimal if there is any. This would probably be the better choice for daily or long-term use, and in generic form is a good deal less costly than the brand name form.

Hope this is helpful to you.