Question: Amitriptyline and pregnancy

AussieLisa - Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi there, I am 37 and I am considering trying for my 3rd child soon. I am on Endep (amitriptyline) 25mg one at night to help me sleep. Can you please tell me how long it takes for the amitriptyline to be completely out of your system once you start taking it? I've read all of the info on taking it during pregnancy and have decided it's not worth taking the risk, so with my doctor's help I want to taper it down and stop taking it before I conceive. I have found lots of info on the drug but cannot find the info I need anywhere online.

I have also suffered depression in the past (although not when the Endep was prescribed) and although I didn't feel depressed then, I have found that I am a lot happier since taking it. If I should start to feel depressed during pregnancy, can you recommend a safe alternative?

Thanks in advance.
 AussieLisa - Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:53 am

Sorry, in my question I meant to ask "How long does it take for the amitriptyline to be completely out of your system once you STOP taking it?"
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:15 pm

I believe it will clear from the system within days.

As for alternatives, the SSRI antidepressants don't appear to be a problem in pregnancy but since testing is not done on pregnant women, we recommend they be used based on risks and benefits. There is a slight risk to the baby in transitioning (persistent pulmonary hypertension) has been reported in some cases of the mother taking them at the end of the pregnancy, but it is not known if that was the cause or not. Some mothers choose to wean off in the last trimester, then resume after delivery. They are safe in breastfeeding.

You can check otispregnancy.org for more information but several of the SSRIs such as Zoloft and Prozac have been used long enough now that we can feel quite confident when depression is a concern (and depression is known to be a risk factor for the baby).