Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Implanon & St Johns Wort

TJF - Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:41 pm

I have been on Implanon for 2 years and I get a period every 2-3 months. About 8 weeks ago I started taking St Johns Wort for stress, and its working really well. Yesterday I was told by a friend that St Johns Wort will stop the implanon from working. I'm married and having regular sex. Is this just a wives tale or is there any truth to it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 06, 2009 7:23 pm

There has been some report that St. Johns' Wort can interfere with the effectiveness of combined oral contraceptive pills. It is a supplement, not regulated by the FDA so do not have good, scientific evidence but there has been enough anecdotal evidence to suggest it is real and not an old wives' tale.

Implanon's website suggests that it is possible St. John's Wort could interfere with it as well and your doctor should be informed about your use of it.