Question: TOPICAL antibiotics and birth control PART II

sgodzisz - Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:25 am

If the topical antibiotic is benzamycin, which has 3% eurythromycin (more than just the <1% stated in the topic below) would that still not have a high enough bioavailability to cause damage to the stomach flora and effect birth control? Or is there a prob I should be aware of?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:15 am

User avatar Hi sgodzisz,
When using topical antibiotics small amounts are absorbed in the blood stream. Generally speaking, these are not in sufficiently high enough amounts as in oral antibiotics to change the normal flora of the stomach which is what activates the birth control pills. In my opinion and to my knowledge, it would not make the pill less effective but if this is a concern for you use additional methods of birth control until you complete your current regimen.