Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: TOPICAL antibiotics and birth control PART II

sgodzisz - Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:25 am

If the topical antibiotic is benzamycin, which has 3% eurythromycin (more than just the <1% stated in the topic below) would that still not have a high enough bioavailability to cause damage to the stomach flora and effect birth control? Or is there a prob I should be aware of?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:15 am

User avatar Hi sgodzisz,
When using topical antibiotics small amounts are absorbed in the blood stream. Generally speaking, these are not in sufficiently high enough amounts as in oral antibiotics to change the normal flora of the stomach which is what activates the birth control pills. In my opinion and to my knowledge, it would not make the pill less effective but if this is a concern for you use additional methods of birth control until you complete your current regimen.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us