Question: Should I be on Acyclovir for a flu?

ajhno - Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:13 pm

My doctor prescribed acyclovir for me for a flu or flu-like virus. I read online it's mostly for topical infections like herpes and has no use for flu. Am I getting ahead of myself or should I be concerned? Or will it just not do anything for me?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 06, 2009 6:53 pm

I agree with what you have read. There are effective antivirals that help you recover faster from the flu such as Tamiflu, Flumadine, and Relenza (all brand names but generics are just as good). These work best with started within the first few days of symptoms. I know of no effects against the flu that you will get from acyclovir.