Question: Strange reaction to any cold or allergy meds

Leslie - Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:48 pm

Whenever I have a cold or need medication for allergies, I have to be very careful about what I take. The over the counter meds for colds, Nyquil, Dayquil, any neocitrans, anything I have tried, doesn't let me sleep. If it's just the normal stuff, it's usually 24 hours. If it's the non drowsy the affects can last for up to 48 hours. This goes for the allergy medications also. Can you tell me why and is there anything that I can take? It gets frustrating when I now that a sinus med is out there and I can't take it or anything else!! Thank You Leslie
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:35 am

User avatar Hello Leslie,
The potential toxicities of cough and cold medicines vary with their composition. Many products contain multiple substances including a decongestant, cough suppressant, antihistamine, and/or antipyretic/analgesic. Pseudoephedrine and PPA are sympathomimetics that reduce nasal congestion by stimulating the -andrenergic receptors on vascular smooth muscles. Clinical toxicity presents with central nervous system (CNS) stimulation, hypertension, and tachycardia with ephedrine or pseudoephedrine ingestion, and bradycardia with PPA ingestion.10-12 CNS stimulation can manifest as extreme agitation, restlessness, insomnia, psychosis, and seizures.

I would suggest using a product that does not contain Pseudoephedrine or PPA. Some people are more sensitive than others. I hope it helps.