Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: ADDERAL XR BREAK - MED HOLIDAY

mm66 - Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:03 pm

I am currently prescribed (2) 30 mg ADDERALL XR pills / day. I have been taking them fairly steady for about 10 - 11 months. The drug works great for me and really helps me be the person I need to be. It really unlocked my creativity and intelligence at work and has vastly improved my life. Recently, the drug has been losing its effectiveness. I will have an opportunity in the month of July to take some time off of the drug. I have a full week without work, but I could try to not take it during some work days as well. My questions is, typically (and I know it varies with people) how long does it take for a drug holiday to affect tolerance? I just want to make sure 1-3 weeks will help and that I am not wasting my time. I doubt I would be able to take any longer than that off with out it affecting my work performance. Any help is appreciated.
 Kathleen Plamondon - Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:59 pm

Hello,
Adderall will stay in your system for about 12-14 hours. It is safe to take drug holidays but the risk is worsening ADHD symptoms.
Some people take Adderall only during the weekdays and skip the weekend to reduce tolerance.

If after taking a drug holiday (whether on weekends or over a 1-3 week's time), you are still tolerant to Adderall, then discussing with your physician a change to Concerta or Strattera may be appropriate.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us