Question: lamotrgine(generic lamictal) and pregnancy

blatherskite - Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:54 pm

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about 8 months w/ no success. It's ben very difficult because i've been doing w/o medication for depression. We were going to stop trying, so my Dr. started me on a low dose of lamotrigine. I have taken 25 mg in the am and 25 mg in the pm for the last 3 days. We are having 2nd thoughts and thinking about trying to concieve 2 days from now. Will the meds be out of my system and what are the risks to the baby if i did get pregnant?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:36 pm

I think you will be OK with stopping now, even two days prior to possible conception. It often takes more than one month to get pregnant so you may have a while anyway. It is good you are considering this prior to conception. Is there another medication that might work for you? If it is mostly depression and/or anxiety you may be able to switch to one that has fewer worries in pregnancy such as Zoloft.